My most favorite food EVER. (eh, who am I kidding, everything is my most favorite food ever). Unfortunately, pizza is a big Endo flare up food. Don't get me wrong, I still splurge on it when I want- and just deal with the stomachache.
But, I decided to be daring a few weeks ago, and try a new gluten free recipe so that I could bring pizza back into my life more. I was super skeptical about it. I mean Cauliflower pizza crust? It sounds horrible! Before you totally dismiss this post and recipe, consider the possibility that it MIGHT just be delicious.
My husband was not convinced he was going to like it either. He took out the take out menu for back up. I started to lose some faith once I saw it mixed up and on the baking sheet. However, I have never been more excited to admit that I was WRONG. Not only was it delicious, it tasted just like regular pizza crust, AND MY HUSBAND LOVED IT! And did I mention it did NOT hurt my stomach and was so simple to make. I guess we will be able to keep GLUTEN free pizza in this household. Yes, it did have dairy, but for whatever reason, mozzarella does not hurt my stomach. It's a happy day! Endometriosis warrior approved!
-1 cup riced cauliflower (I used the already riced cauliflower in the frozen foods section, however you can use fresh cauliflower in produce).
- 1 egg
-1 can sauce
-1 cup shredded mozzarella (this is for crust mix)
-Big block of fresh mozzarella (this is for top of pizza)
- Toppings of your choice.
If using fresh cauliflower, chop, remove stems and leaves, and cut into chunks. Place in food processor or blender and mix until it looks like grain. (don't over do it because it will become puree).
*If you buy the already riced cauliflower in frozen foods you can obviously skip the blender step*
1) place riced cauliflower into microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes or so.
2) preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
3) In a bowl, stir together 1 cup of riced/cooked cauliflower, one beaten egg, and one cup of the shredded mozzarella. Add oregano, garlic, salt.(for the spices, I measure out what I like, no required measurement). Mix well.
4) Pour mixture on baking sheet and pat out into a 9" round. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before adding toppings. This lets the crust become more solid.
5) Now you are ready to make your pizza. Add sauce and whatever toppings you want along with the fresh mozzarella. Place the pizza back in oven under broiler at high heat just until the cheese is melted ( 5 mins or so)
**You may want to pre-cook toppings as they will not cook much since you are leaving the pizza in for only 5 mins.**
** This recipe makes one 9" pizza. I was able to make 4, 9" pizzas total with all the extra ingredients I had**